Apr 16

A Piece of Advice: Assistance in Post-Secondary

Hey y’all,

I’m back with another piece of advice! This time, with navigating around the kinds of assistance available to you.

When I first attended College, I was pretty overwhelmed, even with the initial assistance I had from my case worker. So what did I do? I continued to use the services that the case worker provided throughout my education.

As I mentioned in my previous post, case workers are especially helpful in formulating accommodation plans with you and your instructors in ways, such as extending time for tests, providing assistive technology, and much more.

A case worker can provide you with whatever you need to succeed. There is one requirement though: you must seek their assistance.

In College and University, it is expected that all students practice their independence. Here’s the thing about independence though, it does not mean that you have to face challenges alone.

In this context, independence means that you approach others for assistance when you need it, rather than relying on others to offer their assistance to you. Thus, it is up to you to approach your case worker, go over what you need with them, and then develop a number of accommodations based on your needs.

I encourage you to conduct your own research on these services. Here’s an example from Mohawk College:


That’s it for now. Have a pleasant day!

– Aelius

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

129,500 Spam Comments Blocked so far by Spam Free Wordpress

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

What is 10 + 6 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)